Jan Heine gathering September 2022
Group of people playing together for three or four days. Everyday another ensemble, another piece. No coaching involved. Just for fun.
Date: September 9-11, 2022 in Akoesticum, Ede, Netherlands.
Friday September 9, I will be playing the
String Quintet no.3 in E-flat major, op.97 “the American” (1893) by Antonin Dvorak
- Allegro non tanto
- Allegro vivo
- Finale. Allegro giusto
The quintet was written shortly after Dvorak finished the famous “American” string quartet in F major, opus 96. Both were written during a stay at Spillville, Iowa, home to a Czech immigrant community. He was in the US because Jeanette Thurber had persuaded Dvorak to become the head of the National Conservatory of Music of America and to found a school of composition for American music the way he had designed Czech music in his home country. He got acquainted with the so called Afro-American and Indian music in quite a special manner. Nevertheless a style emerged which borrows much from pentatonic spirituals and Indian music.
For a very interesting talk about Dvorak, the influence of Afro-American and Indian music and the quintet in E-flat major click here.
- A not so brief introduction to the concept of Period
- A brief introduction to the concept of Sentence
- Schumann Piano Quartet in E-flat major
- Books by Schönberg and Ratz
- Equal temperament and some math involved
- Musica Disciplina
- ‘t Geinig Alternatief
- Consulted literature
- Analysis Beethoven piano trio in D major, op. 70 no. 1 “Geister” or “Ghost”
- Analysis Schubert Symphony no. 1